Thursday, January 11, 2007

Happy-Blogidays-n-Stuff

Sorry it's been so long since the last blog, but I had some stuff to do and some holidays to celebrate and some eggnog to drink. The holidays were good. I did lots of hangin' out and doing stuff. I went to an NBA basketball game for the first time in a very long time. I witnessed the genius that is my brother-in-law, who I must say is a master heckler. It was sweet.
Needless to say I have seen so many movies since my last blog, so what I'm going to do is review the ones I saw in the theater, and list the others in some sort of order, from favorite to least favorite.

Let's go for a four letter word theme.

6 in. Golden Sandwich – Puss Sandwich
1 Ft. Golden Sandwich – Lint Sandwich
2 Ft. Golden Sandwich – Spam Sandwich
3 Ft. Golden Sandwich – BBLT Sandwich (That would be a BLT with extra bacon)
4 Ft. Golden Sandwich – Hams Sandwich
5 Ft. Golden Sandwich – Good Sandwich



Movies Watched in Theater:

For Your Consideration

The Queen

The Good Shepard

Night At The Museum

Babel

Dreamgirls

For Your Consideration:

I don't what people are talking about when they say this movie isn't as funny as the other Christopher Guest movies. I would dare to say that I thought this was better than "A Mighty Wind", and Mr. Guest has gotten his best performance ever from Catherine O'hara, who is absolute genius from beginning to end. Everyone should go see this.

4 Ft. Golden Sandwich

The Queen:

Have you ever noticed how all British people look the same? I couldn't tell the difference between Tony Blair, Prince Charles, Queen Elizabeth or James Cromwell with a fake British accent.

So, I liked this and I think Stephen Frears is an interesting director. He's been all over the place, as far as genres go. For example: Dirty Pretty Things, High Fidelity, Mary Reilly, The Grifters, Dangerous Liaisons, and so on and so on. This felt a little like watching a PBS special. Which is good to me, I love PBS. I love NPR, too and have always thought it would be funny to have a crossover series called "All Creatures Considered". I just don't know if the world is ready.

Anyways, the subject matter is really interesting, taking place the week of Princess Di's death. It deals mostly with the Queen's reaction and the royal families participation in the funeral and the grieving of the nation and the world. It's something that hadn't ever happened before, a former member of the royal family, who was regarded so highly by the public, but not regarded at all by the family. It was a pickle. A yummy british pickle. Pickles go good on sandwiches.

4 Ft. of Golden Spotted Dick Sandwich

The Good Shepard:

I was really bored by this movie. I thought it was going to be about the CIA and why they picked this dude to run it, but it was more about his whiny family whining about how he's never home. Plus, Matt Damon goes from being young to old and doesn't change a bit. He's standing there next to his son, and in real life the actor playing his son is probably older than he is, and I guess mr. big bucks Robert DeNiro didn't have the money for a prosthetics guy to make Matt Damon look old. It's long, too. It's like 5 hours, or something.

2 ft. of Golden Sandwich

Night At The Museum:

This was a big, fun, generic movie. Not great, but fun. I liked that Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney were in it. They're old and who knows how many more movies they're gonna get to do. Ben Stiller can be funny sometimes. I just saw an episode of "Extras" on HBO that he was hilarious on. It's one of those things, though, where a movie has to be generic enough for the mainstream, so Stiller doesn't really get to go crazy. But, he does get paid a lot.

2 Ft. 6 Inches of Golden Sandwich

Babel:

I love the broad, multiple story lines of Alejandro Inarritu's movies. This one is beautifully shot and well acted, but is a little long and unbelievable. It takes place in Morocco, Japan and San Diego/Mexico and has a small, solid connection between each place. The problem is that it does seem like it's a coincidence that all of these things are happening at the same time, and some of the events seem like they wouldn't happen the way they do. But anyways, it's not quite as ridiculously depressing as 21 Grams or Amorres Perros, meaning, some of the people actually live at the end.

3 Ft. of Golden Sandwich

Dreamgirls:

Leslee and I saw this last weekend and I was pleasantly surprised. I probably wouldn't have seen it without going to hang with some friends and wanting to go see a movie and this just was the right time. The problem with a musical like this is, if you don't like a song or a singer, than you're not going to like that part of the movie, and vice versa with the good parts. Eddie Murphy and Ms. American Idol reject Jennifer Hudson were great, but Beyonce Knowles is like a robot and she's got the voice of a raccoon. The thing I was most surprised by was Jennifer Hudson and the songs she sand. It was 'straight outta the late sixties' soul, my favorite kind of soul.
3 Ft. of Golden Sandwich

All the rest of the movies I watched I'm going to list alongside my favorite to least favorite real-life everyday superheroes*

Superhero Movie

1. The Vendor - Kontroll

2. The Electrician - Enter The Dragon

3. The Butcher - Henry and June

4. Landscaper (Scaping the landing, fighting all evil-doers) - Disco Pigs

5. The Grip - Tennis, Anyone?

6. The Appraiser - Eros

7. The Distributor - Street Fighter (1974)

8. The Installer - Queer Duck: The Movie

9. The Dishwasher (Also know as the Dish Destroyer) - Phantasm IV

10.The Contractor - The Devil Wears Prada

11. The Editor (He will edit you out) - Equilibrium

12. The Shrink - Santa Claus Conquers The Martians

13. The Personal Trainer - Hostel

14. The Chaperone - Boy in the Plastic Bubble

15. The Supervisor - Sore Losers

*To get the full effect you must say each of these superhero names in a funny, movie trailer style voice

Coming Up in the Queueueueu:

I Am A Sex Addict

Bride of Re-Animator

Nobody Knows Anybody

Jackass: Number Two

Six O'clock News

Manhattan

Shattered Glass

Rabbit-Proof Fence

Fear No Evil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home